With second-quarter earnings season just a month away, earnings have been on the back-burner as Wall Street focuses on economic and geopolitical news in the meantime. Companies with different fiscal years fill the void during off months following the the rush at the start of the quarterly earnings announcements.
Ambarella (AMBA) will confess first-quarter results after today's closing bell with Wall Street looking for a profit of $0.36 a share on revenue of $63.5 million. The company has smashed estimates the past four quarters by 18, 17, 16, and 6 cents, respectively. The high estimate for the recently ended quarter has the company earning 41 cents a share.
Despite the impressive earnings beats, shares have struggled afterwards falling the past three earnings announcements. The pullbacks have been 4%, 11%, and nearly 7%. In the year ago period, shares rallied 9%.
Last week's sudden pullback from the $65 level to double-nickels ($55) came on drone launch concerns as the company's largest customer, DJI, may have dual-sourced video processing chips. DJI's Spark drone went on the market with a price tag of $499 and this concern could become a material headwind, if true.
Shares held the 100-day moving average on the punishment and are trying to hold shaky support at $59 and the 200-day moving average heading into the announcement. The 50-day moving average was in a solid uptrend but leveled off following the technical damage.
The recent action has juiced the option premiums in AMBA with weekly and monthly strikes available to trade. The regular AMBA June 60 calls (AMBA170616C00060000, $2.40, up $0.20) and the AMBA June 60 puts (AMBA170616P, $3.05, down $0.15) are pricing in a possible 8%-10% move in the stock during after-hours and into tomorrow's open.
I don't actively follow AMBA and I'm not sure if the recent volatility is an overreaction, or represents a buying opportunity ahead of earnings.
If shares were to make a run to $65 this week, the aforementioned call options would double from current levels as they would be $5 "in-the-money". If shares stay below $60 and falter on the news, the call options would expire worthless. If shares fell below $53.90, technically, by next Friday, the aforementioned put options would double from current levels.
I don't usually trade options that are priced over $2, especially with earnings trades, so I will be sitting on the sidelines watching the action. Other stocks in the chip sector could react in a positive or negative way based on AMBA's numbers and I'm looking to the possible upside in other names.
Today's action has been more of the same as yesterday with tight action to the downside. The market seems content to wait for the Thursday's fireworks showcasing a former head of the FBI's comments following his firing from a month ago and the outcome from the overseas election.
The Dow is down 5 points to 21,178 while the S&P 500 is off 2 points to 2,434. The Nasdaq is slipping a point to 6,294 and the Russell 2000 is declining 6 points to 1,390.
I have updated our current trades so let's go check the tape.